- 12 chicken thighs with skin and bone still on
- 12 pork spare ribs
- 250 ml apple juice (as sharp as possible)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (halved)
- 6 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- Put the ribs and chicken pieces in a couple of large freezer bags or into a dish.
- Add the remaining ingredients, squelching everything together well, before sealing the bag or covering the dish.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight or up to two days.
- When the marinating time is up, take the dish out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400ºF.
- Pour the contents of the freezer bag into one or two large roasting tins (making sure the chicken is skin-side up), place in the oven and cook for about an hour and a quarter, by which time everything should be sticky and glossed conker-brown.